Dissertation Title: "Jewish Life in East Berlin before and after Reunification: A Public History Project"
I am an SDC (Special Day Class) history teacher at William J. Clinton Middle School in Historic South Central Los Angeles.
Planned and taught "World History, 1750 to the Present" at the Monroe Correctional Complex.
- Taught world history by creating an inclusive learning environment in which students felt comfortable sharing their backgrounds and cultural traditions.
- Developed, implemented, and assessed various in-class group projects and short individual writing assignments.
- Guided students in developing final paper topics and supported them in their research in a restrictive environment.
- Encouraged students to draw connections between class content and their own experiences.
Planned and led weekly discussion sections; graded essays, problem sets, and exams for the following courses in medieval history, film history, modern European history, and modern Latin American history.
- Worked with a diverse population of students, including international students and EL students, and developed strategies for responding effectively to a wide range of writing abilities.
- Employed a variety of methods in the classroom, including small group and classroom discussions, close reading and step-by-step analysis of primary sources, role play, video projects.
Planned and taught “Latin American History through Film,” using a wide variety of written, oral, and visual sources and digital media.
- Guided students in conducting their own research for a website project and in critically evaluating their sources.
- Conducted individual conferences with each group for the website project.
- Encouraged students to explore writing for both academic and broader audiences.
- Taught students basic WordPress skills.
- Used online learning management tools to organize content and communicate with students outside of class to promote clarity and transparency.
Instructor of record for the fifth- and sixth-graders in an independent afterschool program on the Southwest Side of Chicago.
- Designed and implemented program curriculum for a summer camp and after-school program in a bilingual (English & Spanish) environment.
- Developed individual service plans for program participants and their parents.
- Supervised summer interns.
- Documented the program and its participants. (lesson plans, attendance, case notes etc.)
- Attended trainings in restorative justice-based conflict resolution and literacy development.
Proofread presentations, term papers, and undergraduate theses; advised students on the rules of academic writing; developed an academic writing manual.
Antena Los Ángeles is a collective dedicated to language justice advocacy and organizing in Los Angeles. We work with individuals and groups to develop bilingual and multilingual spaces, using as our primary tools interpretation, translation, consulting, and education to expand the capacity to create spaces where everyone can participate fully. We believe that language justice is part of social justice.
Copyediting, translation, consecutive and simultaneous interpretation (Spanish<>English, English<>German, German<>Spanish) in the areas of history & social sciences, social justice organizing, human rights, and market research
I coordinate a collaborative project between The Wende Museum and the Cotsen Foundation for Academic Research exploring the transfer of ideas across the Iron Curtain in early Cold War textile design.
Conducted research on the acceptance of members of the LGBTQI community in the Guatemalan social service and health care system by developing, conducting, and analyzing interviews with health care and social service professionals across Guatemala.
Assisted young women aged 18 to 25 in situation of homelessness and acute crisis; supported the women in obtaining welfare services; provided supervision and support during nights and evenings.
Designed and implemented an intercultural awareness training for the organization’s volunteers; developed more effective strategies for individual interactions with survivors of domestic violence; conducted and analyzed surveys among youth regarding their knowledge about HIV/Aids.
Counseled women of Latin American origin about their rights in the welfare system. Assisted in counseling survivors of domestic violence.
German: Native speaker | Spanish: Oral and written fluency | French: Conversational | Portuguese, Swedish, Russian: Translation competence | MS & Open Office | Canvas | Prezi | Professional social media | WordPress | Basic html | Audio editing